Chocolate Chip Cookie Success!
After much trial and error with various vegan cookies, I finally found the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe at the Post Punk Kitchen! These cookies are easy and fantastic — they stay soft and gooey for days!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 16 three inch cookies
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/4 white sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease two large light metal baking sheets.
2. Mix together sugars, oil, milk and tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Use a strong fork and mix really well, for about 2 minutes, until it resembles smooth caramel. There is a chemical reaction when sugar and oil collide, so it’s important that you don’t get lazy about that step. Mix in the vanilla.
3. Add 1 cup of the flour, the baking soda and salt. Mix until well incorporated. Mix in the rest of the flour. Fold in the chocolate chips. The dough will be a little stuff so use your hands to really work them in.
4. Roll the dough into about ping pong ball size balls. Flatten them out in your hands to about 2 1/2 inches. They will spread just a bit. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes – no more than 9 – until they are just a little browned around the edges. I usually get 16 out of these so I do two rounds of eight cookies. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
Enjoy with a cup of almond milk : )